Goto Topic: PreviousNext
Goto:  Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchMark Read• •Print View
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Malachi O'Donoghue
Posted by: Angela Shepherd ()
Date: March 18, 2003 10:48

I have just joined the site, I am searching for info on Malachi O'Donoghue born 1800 Co Clare, Ireland, married Annie O'Neal about 1821, died NSW, Australia 1867, they had 7 children, Malachi's parents named as Patrick O'Donoghue & Ellen Hale

Options:  ReplyQuoteFollow Topic
Re: Malachi O'Donoghue
Posted by: Malachi O'Donoghue ()
Date: December 27, 2009 05:58

Dear Angela

I don't know if it is the same Malachi but my ancestor Malachi O'Donoghue was buried in Rylstone Cemetery, NSW in 1867. His wife Ann, (nee Walsh), is buried with him having died on 28 Sept 1880 aged 80.

We know of 5 children: Thomas, my grandfather, who was a successful race horse jockey and trainer; Mary Ann, Kate, Elizabeth and another Malachi.
There folowed another Malachi in the next generation but he was killed in a railway accident on the Penrith Railway Bridge in his teens.
My father has done some work on the geneology and would be happy to supply you with more information.
Malachi o'Donoghue

Posted by: Linda Jackson ()
Date: February 14, 2010 08:16

I am researching Joseph Donoghue born 1837 Kilkenny Ireland who married Ann Kimery in 1846 at Rylestone NSW .Joseph and Ann had 5 children Mary 1877,Ann 1876,Joseph 1882, Bridget 1884 and Malachi 1879. Mary married Thomas Mckay and they are my great grandparents. Is the Malachi Donoghue in your family the same Malachi that I have in mine? If so I would love to chat further about the Donoghue family history.
thanks Linda Jackson(Mckay)

Posted by: DALE ()
Date: April 11, 2010 08:27

Dear Angela,Just saw your message from years ago.My GGG Grandfather is the Malachi Donoghue that you talk about.Buried at Rylstone cemetery NSW Australia with his wife Ann O'Neil.Love to swap info Dale

Posted by: Ellen Shiels ()
Date: April 25, 2010 10:05

DALE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dear Angela,Just saw your message from years
> ago.My GGG Grandfather is the Malachi Donoghue
> that you talk about.Buried at Rylstone cemetery
> NSW Australia with his wife Ann O'Neil.Love to
> swap info Dale

Date: April 25, 2010 10:10

Hi All,
Don't know why that previous post occurred.

He's my family as well. I've been researching family history since the early 1980's and have visited a lot of the sites around Gulgong, Mudgee, Rylstone etc and actually copied (by hand) a lot of the records of the births deaths marriages from the original record books at the old Court House. I don't think they are available to the public any more.

Would be happy to exchange information but not sure what happens with this forum from here. Can someone let me know how to proceed.

Cheers, Ellen

Date: May 21, 2010 13:46

Ellen

Thank you for your contribution to the forum about Malachi; it is welcome to hear that someone else is interested in the subject.

I am a beginner in this area and would like to talk to you about what you have gleaned from your search of the records.

I hope you can shed some light on the multitude of questions that have arisen from the little I know about the family such as whether it is Ann O'Neil or Walsh?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
Malachi O'Donoghue

Date: September 25, 2010 05:58

Hi Malachi,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I didn't realise that I would have to continually check the site to see if I got any replies and have been extremely busy. I'd love to exchange information and chat about our common family history, should I give you my personal email details or phone number on here? I'm not sure about the security aspects as it appears to be open to the public? Any suggestions?

Ellen

Date: September 27, 2010 09:52

DALE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dear Angela,Just saw your message from years
> ago.My GGG Grandfather is the Malachi Donoghue
> that you talk about.Buried at Rylstone cemetery
> NSW Australia with his wife Ann O'Neil.Love to
> swap info Dale

DALE
I suspect that this is my GGG grandfather as well. My grandfather Thomas Joseph was born in 1854 in Rylestone to Malachi O'Donoghue, who is listed as a Rylestone blacksmith, and Mary Ann Walsh . The Malachi and the Ann buried in Rylestone Cemetery would be too old to have been the parents of Thomas and the six children that followed but might be the parents of another Malachi, who is the son of the one mentioned above and father of Thomas Joseph.

To further complicate the matter, my grandfather Thomas had a brother and a son called Malachi. I was always told that the name was a traditional one within the family and that the eldest son of the eldest son was always called Malachi though this seems not to have been strictly followed.
Malachi O'Donoghue

Posted by: Kay Cordery ()
Date: October 29, 2010 15:11

How exciting to find more Donoghue descendants, Dale. We are related to Malachi and Anne through their son Malachi's daughter Elizabeth, born Rylstone 1859,married Mudgee 1882, died Balmain 1934.
I would like to know if her generation of Rylstone children went to school and whether there are records of schools in 1860s and 70s.

Date: November 11, 2010 05:32

Kay
It sounds like your Elizabeth is the sister of my grandfather, horse trainer,owner and jockey, Tommy Donoghue (born in 1854). He didn't use the 'O' professionally as I gather the Irish weren't too popular at the time.

My father says he remembers Elizabeth, (Bett) but says that little is known about her. He says she was always referred to as Lady Manning, presumably because of a tendency to draw upon her 'noble' anscestors.

Do you have any further information about her?
Regards
Malachi O'Donoghue

Date: January 06, 2011 12:37

O Malachi, I could weep to think of Elizabeth being known and talked about by anyone alive, or information held- we were not interested when our grandfather, the first son of Elizabeth and Edward, was alive.
She was born 1859, married 1882 to Edward Manning, baker of Dungaree [ a town later abandoned in favour of Louee] at St Marys Mudgee. No parents appear to have been present. Her employment is "servant".
Next information is the birth of William Henry 1885 Murray Bridge SA
then Thomas 1886 Dimboola Vic [died in infancy]
then James Ernest 1888 Palmerston, then SA, now NT
then 1891 Bundaberg Q Edward , who on all those birth registrations is either a platelayer or ganger on railway construction, died of dysentery and Elizabeth travels by steamer from Rockhampton to Sydney and from there, presumably by coach and rail to Denison Town where she gave birth to Edward's daughter in May 1891 only to have her die the next year.
I do not know anything more until her second son enlists for WW1 and gives his mother as next of kin at 100 Hay St Leichhardt in 1914. She died in 1934.
I think her younger sister and her husband lived not far away, but apart from their help and perhaps that of her adult sons,eventually, I do not know how she managed- possibly as a servant again, so it is interesting that she be called Lady Manning. To me it has always seemed she had a brave sad life- the adventure they set out on, from their quiet country town must have required inventiveness and perseverance!
I would just love the gaps in her life filled in- and a photo of any family members would be fabulous- can you put photos on this site? K

Posted by: admin ()
Date: January 06, 2011 19:57

Yes you can either here (see Attach box above) or on the Physical Characteristics area

I love this sort of thread where related folk find each other! Makes it all worthwhile

Cheers

Rod

Posted by: Louise Walls/Trish McFadden ()
Date: January 07, 2011 07:18

Hello!
We believe we are also related to Malachi O'Donoghue and Ann O'Neal! According to our family tree they are our GGGG Grandparents!
From there we are related to their daughter Elizabeth 1883-1911 who we believe was born in Co. Clare Ireland. Elizabeth married Michael Allen Hayes, from Limerick, in 1850 in Rylstone.
Does this information match anyone else's?
We were also wondering if anyone has any photos to share?
Looking forward to hearing from you!
Louise & Trish

Posted by: Kathy Newey ()
Date: January 11, 2011 02:46

Hi
I am researching O'donoghues from Glenflesk, specifically my gg grandfather Michael, parents Alexander Donoghue and mother Elizabeth Collins. We have recently discovered an Elizabeth Agnes Hayes, died 1911 in Springfield, Massachusetts, her death details in Familysearch say parents are Alexander Donoghue and Elizabeth Collins, husband Dennis Hayes.
Big co-incidence Elizabeth Hayes nee Donoghue died in 1911.
They do not appear to be the same person but thought I'd post it in case in come across my Elizabeth Hayes in your research.
Kind regards
Kathy Newey in New Zealand

Date: January 27, 2011 04:05

Kay

Thank you for the information regarding 'Bett"; it cleared up some questions for us.
My father says that his father Tommy, loved to tease and he can remember him creeeping up on Elizabeth when she was visiting Rylestone and taking advantage of her poor eyesight. He would greet her with the words: 'Good Morning Lady Manning' which he knew was sure to get a rise out of her. She would reply: 'I don't know you sir,' and strike him with her parasol upon which he would identify himself as her brother.
My father says that while Tommy was successful as a trainer, he often supported other O'Donoghue families but I don't know if Elizabeth was one of them. This largesse ended with the war when all the thoroughbreds were sent overseas and Tommy was out of a job. He was too proud to take the offers from the horse owners that he stay on until racing re-emerged and the family shifted to Penrith where he died. During his last months while he was sick, his life insurance was not paid and so the family fell into poverty.
I have attached a photo of Bett's brother Tommy, on a horse in 1896, when things were good. I still have his riding boots which are incredibly small. My father says that all the O'Donoghue's had small feet because they rode everywhere.

Attachments:
thomas_o\'donoghue_in_1898.jpg (23.1 KB)  
Date: March 10, 2011 12:06

Thankyou so much for your reply concerning Elizabeth. It sounds as though she had quite a problem with her sight- I wonder whether she picked that up during her travels through railway camps 1882-1891.
Your grandfather Tommy sounds a lovable rogue. I wonder did he or your father ever mention William Henry 1885-1958 or James Ernest 1888-1943. I can't discover where they and Elizabeth settled between 1892-1913 . Both sons worked for the tramways, presumably from 1900 and 1903.
The photo of the horserider is great and bears a likeness to a photo Dale has of "Malachi" - we don't know which Malachi.
Many thanks for your reply- I look forward to more stories drawn from memories forgotten and revived!

Date: March 19, 2011 12:42

Hi Malachi,
Do you know the address in Rylstone in which Malachi and Mary Anne's children grew up? and was Thomas,the horse owner/trainer a reader and writer? We think it likely that Elizabeth was illiterate because on every occasion on which she had to give her maiden name it is spelled differently, whereas one would expect her to either write it herself in the same way each time or correct the writer, I wonder was that generation able to attend school?
Do you know anything at all about the "noble Manning" family? They appear not to have registered the birth of Edward, Elizabeth's husband.
Kay

Posted by: Phyl Donoghue ()
Date: March 26, 2011 03:10

Hello Malachi

I think your Grandfather Tommy was the brother of Catherine Donoghue who died as Catherine Jenkins in 1949 , we can find no record of her marriage to Walter Jenkins but the marriage is stated on her death certificate . Catherine had 2 male children - Walter and Lesley who were known as Donoghue's , we think they wre raised by Malachi and Mary Anne ( Tommy and Catherine's parents ).We think Lesley may also have worked at the Lawson Street Mudgee Stables ,? this is where Tommy may also have worked as a trainer .

Do you have any information about Catherine?

Regards Phyl

Posted by: Fiona ()
Date: April 05, 2011 11:53

Hi Everyone

I’ve just come across this discussion about the Donoghue family of Rylstone/Glen Alice and would like to let you know there is now a history wiki for the greater Rylstone area which includes both Glen Alice and Dungaree. A page already exists for Malachi Donoghue and no doubt others relating to the family will be added later. I would like to invite anyone interested in the area and its people to join the wiki, which is free to do. If you do join and wish to add or edit pages you will need to then apply to be a writer. Once the application is received you are usually made a writer in less than 24 hours.

The main index to the history wiki can be found at

http://rdhsrwgroup.wetpaint.com/page/Index+to+all+pages+on+the+wiki

If you wish to search the content of the wiki use Google with the following:

site:rdhsrwgroup.wetpaint.com your search term

E.g.
site:rdhsrwgroup.wetpaint.com Donohoe

This particular search produces an extremely interesting result for people interested in John Donoghue who lived in Rylstone.

If you need any assistance with the wiki please email me at

rdhswiki@gmail.com

Kind regards,

Fiona

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • Valid attachments: gif, jpg, jpeg, png, doc, txt, rtf, xls, pdf, zip, rar, 7z,
  • No file can be larger than 6 MB
  • 4 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
CAPTCHA
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator